The final trailer for Rogue One debuted yesterday and it is absolutely spectacular. It gave me all of the goose bumps and I cannot wait to see the Rebellion fighting the tyranny of the Empire. This trailer has made me forget any concerns, small as they were, about rumors of reshoots. Rogue One looks like an exciting new entry in the Star Wars universe that feels both familiar and entirely new.
Below are some screenshots and thoughts about the trailer.
- Ever since the first trailer premiered I have loved the visual aesthetic of this movie. Up until this point all the Star Wars movies have looked very similar even with four different directors spanning the series. However, director Gareth Edwards and cinematographer Greig Fraser have created a beautiful and unique movie that still looks like it belongs in the Star Wars universe.
- At its core, Star Wars is a story about a family. The Skywalker family dominates the narrative from Episodes I-VII. I'm glad to see that Rogue One is maintaining the focus on a family. Knowing Jyn’s motives are based in her familial relationships will help us all relate with her more easily. None of us have ever flown a starship, but we all know what it's like to be a part of a family.
- Is that Watto in the cell with Jyn? Probably not, but why not wildly speculate?
- Since the first trailer I've also loved how ominous the Empire has felt. In the original trilogy we mostly saw the Empire in space chasing the Rebels. Seeing its presence on planets with regular people, both in Star Wars Rebels and the Rogue One trailers, has given us a better sense of the Empire's oppression.
- Still super stoked about Mon Mothma’s presence in Rogue One. She and Bail Organa pretty much started the Rebellion and we know so little about her. Hopefully Rogue One gives us more insight into this strong leader.
- So cool. Amazing shot. Now I always think of the Death Star when I see the moon in the daytime.
- Once again there Empire being bad and domineering. Most Star Wars fans have always liked the Empire because its so cool and Darth Vader is so awesome. Perhaps we'll all have to reconsider how much we like the Empire when we finally see the depths of its evil.
- “We have hope. Rebellions are built on hope.” The first time I watched the trailer that line sent chills up my spine. More than any of the other trailers, this trailer gives a sense of heroism and a cause to believe in.
- Oh good, it looks like Jyn is just disguised as an Imperial officer. The first teaser tried swerving us, making us think that she was actually a double agent. I still hope that’s not the case. I want Jyn to be a hero.
- Is Chirrut Îmwe going to be the best part about Rogue One?
- X-Wings are awesome. The design has basically gone unchanged for almost 40 years and it’s still one of the best looking ships in all of science fiction.
- Has Darth Vader looked more menacing? I know he’s looked as menacing, but I don’t know about more menacing.
Rogue One is looking better and better the more I see of it. I still can’t believe after waiting 16 years between Return of the Jedi and The Phantom Menace, then waiting another 11 years between Revenge of the Sith and The Force Awakens, we’ll end up waiting less than a year between the two most recent Star Wars movies. I’m excited for Rogue One and December 16 can’t get here soon enough.