Over the weekend James Gunn released another teaser trailer for Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2. I enjoyed the first teaser and thought that it carried the tone of the first movie and its trailers. This new teaser doesn’t give us a great idea about the story, but definitely shows us how much funnier these characters are now that they know each other better. Check it out below.
I would have seen GOTG2 without a trailer or any marketing. I love the Marvel Cinematic Universe and will do everything I can to see its movies on opening night. While I didn’t need this trailer to get me to see Peter Quill and company again, I did appreciate the sneak peak into what’s coming in May.
Here are some screenshots and thoughts about the trailer.
- This scene feels like it takes place at the beginning of the movie. We don’t know what the Guardians have been up to since they saved Xandar, but in this scene we’ll see them doing a little bit of good while defeating a giant space monster. I’d be shocked if this scene isn’t the first time we see the Guardians together in the movie.
- The trailer is mostly built upon laughs, but there are a few shots of its large scope. Guardians of the Galaxy avoided some of the pitfalls of an origin story because it was mostly about a team coming together and not how Rocket became Rocket. Instead of having to sit through a teambuilding exercise, though, we’ll get to see the Guardians as a team right off the bat, saving the galaxy.
- Giant space monster that will eat Drax and Drax will proceed to stab it from the inside. Perhaps I’ve watched too many comic book movies and their trailers.
- Baby Groot is too cute. Groot stole the original movie and it looks like he’ll do it again. I can’t believe I like a character connected to Vin Diesel this much.
- Even in the trailer it’s great to see how Rocket and Groot’s relationship has changed. Rocket seems to be much more understanding and patient with Baby Groot than he ever was with Groot.
- These look like Ravagers. I always want to call them Reavers but that doesn’t make sense because Firefly takes place in the future and in a different galaxy.
- One of the best shots from the original movie recreated for this movie. This movie looks so awesome.
- Again, the trailer gives us such a good sense of the characters’ relationships. They’re very much the relationships we saw in the first movie, but they’re just more developed and deepened.
- Yay Mantis! I’m excited for the inclusion of Mantis as a member of the Guardians. She was an interesting character in the comics. Now if only Cosmo would show up again and get in fights with Rocket.
- “You must be so embarrassed!” That scene made me LLoL. Between the two trailers Drax appears to be the funniest cat in the entire galaxy.
More than anything this trailer made me laugh and smile for two minutes and 12 seconds. More than any other director in the MCU, James Gunn is perfectly matched with his characters. Guardians of the Galaxy was great and I have no doubts Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 will be just as great.
What did you think of the trailer?