We’re 10 days into the New Year and it’s right about now that people begin to abandon their resolutions. I didn’t really make any New Year’s resolutions for 2017. I took a little time off from running over the holidays so I’ve gotten back to that. I also ate as many cookies the week between Christmas and New Year’s Day as I had the rest of 2016 combined, so I’m trying to cut back on the carbs and eat a little better. I wouldn’t really say those are resolutions as much as habits that I’d gotten away from.
On this week’s episode of The Christian Nerd Podcast I did talk about establishing some new rhythms in the New Year. I’ve switched up my devotions and I’m still trying to figure out how to be a good husband, father and employee while still having some fun. If I figure out how to have some fun, then these nerdy resolutions might actually find success.
- Reach level 40 in Destiny: I actually played some Destiny last weekend, like maybe eight hours’ worth. It’s a fun game and more of it has been opened up to me since I’m at a higher level. It would be great to get my light level to 400, but I don’t know if that will happen.
- Watch Star Trek: The Next Generation all the way through: I’ve already seen every episode of The Next Generation, many of them multiple times. However, recently I purchased the entire series on Blu-ray with restored video and upgraded visuals. I got the box set about six weeks ago and have watched 19 episodes. That’s a little over three episodes a week. If I keep up that pace I will finish the entire series by the end of the year.
- Get Clara into Star Wars: She’s not even one year old yet, but that’s old enough for her to like Star Wars. At this point she likes sticking stuff in her mouth, so the way to unlock her Star Wars fandom is to get her Star Wars toys that she can stick in her mouth. If you have any suggestions, please let me know.
- Watch more movies: I love watching movies and not just in the theater, but at home as well. With work and a baby, though, my movie watching habits have taken a hit. Maybe as Clara gets a little older and Alycia gets a little more settled in her job, we’ll have more time to sit down and watch a movie.
- Fit into a medium shirt: I bought a sick Cyclops shirt last year, but bought it in a medium. As of right now I can’t fit into that shirt (thanks Christmas cookies). But I’d love to wear that Cyclops shirt some time this year, preferably sooner than later.
The irony is that I would have time to achieve all of these nerdy resolutions if I wasn’t writing about these nerdy resolutions. Writing and podcasting take up a lot of time, time that could be spent playing video games or watching TV. However, I’d much rather express myself and keep The Christian Nerd going than achieving any nerdy resolution.
What are some of your nerdy resolutions for 2017?